Bede Academy is committed to enriching the lives of all students by closely following the example set for us by the life of Jesus Christ. As an Academy with a distinctive Christian ethos, the key drivers for British values of mutual respect, understanding right from wrong, the need for laws and tolerance are integral to all that we do. Our core values of honourable purpose, humility, compassion, integrity, accountability, courage and determination encapsulate this. The Academy is committed to serving all members of the community through respecting the basic value that each individual is unique with a divine origin and destiny, and is known to, and loved by God.
In addition, Bede Academy also recognises that, as British citizens, we are also committed to a very clear set of rights, responsibilities and values otherwise referred to as ‘British Values’. The government places the responsibility on all schools and Academies to promote the ‘fundamental British values’ of:
- the rule of law
- individual liberty
- mutual respect
- tolerance of those with different faiths
Bede Academy promotes these values in the following ways:
- Strong whole Academy ethos and developing character through specific activities in Bede Award.
- Successful integration of all students into our community.
- Promotion of equal opportunities for everyone.
- Strong pastoral structure.
- Strong and coherent behaviour and anti-bullying policies.
- Part of a wider community which recognises very clearly our responsibility to others through our commitment to the disadvantaged and our senior citizens.
- Weekly assemblies and Tutor time celebrating the Christian ethos and delivering other key messages.
- Theme-based Reflection time which explicitly develops the understanding of different cultures and beliefs, and care for those less fortunate than ourselves.
- Students have a variety of leadership roles across the Academy including Action Groups, Council members and Prefects.
- An extensive programme of charitable events and fund raising organised and led by student body.
- An enrichment programme including visits in Britain and abroad.
- Students plan community and charitable events in all year groups.
The Academy is fully committed to developing the whole child and enabling all students to be able to contribute fully to the society in which they live.