Dear Parents and Carers
Full academy re-opening from 8 March 2021
As you are undoubtably aware the Government announced yesterday that schools will be fully open to all students from 8 March 2021. At Bede Academy we believe our community is infinitely precious – therefore we are looking forward to being able to gather again at our Primary and Secondary sites. As has been the case throughout this pandemic we will do all that we can to ensure that our students and staff are provided with a safe and calm learning environment. This is our overarching priority as we manage this return to full opening.
We have now received guidance from the Department for Education to help manage this return and are currently working through the implications of this. We will make sure that we communicate the detail of this with each of you as soon as we are able within the next week.
There are, however, some initial headlines that we want to share with you at this time. These are as follows:
- Full online provision will continue until students return to onsite learning, alongside our current onsite provision for children of key workers and those deemed as vulnerable
- Attendance will be mandatory for all students from the week beginning Monday 8 March
- For primary schools this will mean a full return for all students on Monday 8 March
- Secondary schools are to manage a phased return over the week of 8 March to allow students to be provided testing upon return.
- Staff and students in secondary schools are expected to wear face coverings in all areas, including classrooms, where social distancing cannot be maintained (unless exempt). This is not an expectation for primary students.
- At secondary, after an initial programme of 3 Lateral Flow Device tests in school, students will be provided with two rapid tests to use each week at home.
- Secondary school staff will be provided with two tests to use each week at home (as is already the case for primary staff).
In order to allow your child to take Lateral Flow tests please follow these links to give your consent if you have not done so already:
- for students 16 and over: https://forms.gle/rb2oAu2hhW8qFEYb8
- for secondary students under 16: https://forms.gle/snZ4KiVM4isv5Z3o6
Paper copies will be provided at the academy reception for secondary students if needed.
In order to support us with our planning for Lateral Flow testing of secondary students and staff we will be seeking volunteers to help us run our testing centre. Information about this is being shared along with this letter. If you are willing to be trained and can offer us some of your time to support our community with this then please take a moment to read the information provided.
Finally as we come out of this period in our community’s history we want to say thank you to all our parents, carers and their families for all the hard work, support and sacrifice that you have all made to support us and your children continue with their learning whilst also caring for their well-being.
Bethan Harding and Andrew Thelwell
Principal: Primary Principal: Secondary